Biggest Problem with Nagios: Poor Setup/Installation

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Mon Aug 16 21:09:17 CEST 2004

Atwal, Steve wrote:
> I'd like to use Nagios, but after wasting over a month, finally gave
> up. Setup instructions are very poor, and we ended up using Big
> Brother instead. I'd still like to use Nagios, but the following
> problems will stop people in their tracks when it comes to using it:

>From what I've seen over the past few years, there aren't too many
people with a complaint such as this.
Did you read all of the docs included with the distribution? They can
also be found at Nagios.org.

I'm guessing that you did not read all of the docs, or you would have
found the Installation Guide written by Andrew Kaplan, which is linked
from http://www.nagios.org/docs/. If you've got a copy of that, and
still can't get Nagios up and running correctly, then I don't think that
the developers are at fault here.

One last thing... I've searched through the last few weeks of posts to
the list, and I can't find another post from you besides this one. I
would think that if you had spent a month attempting to setup Nagios,
you would have mailed the list at least one other time with a question
or two. If not, then what you've really wasted is a valuable resource,
not a month of setup time.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)