How to monitor Nagios itself?

Youngblood, Gregory (SAIC) gyoungblood at saicmail.jsc.nasa.gov
Fri Aug 6 23:00:45 CEST 2004

If you have SSH capabilities through the firewall, then you should be able
to setup SSH (for a non-root user) that can execute a command on each of the
machines.

Once ssh works in both directions, then each machine should be able to use
check_by_ssh to execute check_nagios on the remote machine.

I'm assuming your wanting to check nagios itself and not just the host that
nagios is running on. If you don't have SSH through the firewall, then you
will need to determine what services you have visible to each machine
through the firewall. For example, if both machines have HTTP servers, and
can see each other, then you might be able to wrap the check_nagios into a
CGI. Personally, I wouldn't do it this way. I'd get SSH working. If there
are issues with security, then assuming both sides have static IP addresses,
then just allow SSH from and to each machine and no where else.

Greg