How to monitor Nagios itself?

David Knutson dknutson at sydran.com
Fri Aug 6 22:14:28 CEST 2004

I've completed the setup of a Nagios system to monitor a number of our
internal systems, and it seems to be working great.  Now I want to setup
a system at a remote site to monitor the monitor!  All I want this
second system to do is alert me when the first system goes down.  Of
course, I would also monitor the second system from the first.
Complicating this is the fact of a firewall between the two systems -
for instance, I can't run check_ping because the firewall stops it.  And
I can't use a VPN.

So, can anyone recommend a reliable set of checks to run that will
monitor the monitors and pass through a firewall?