more on disk checking

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Apr 13 18:28:39 CEST 2004

Peter Lauda <mailto:plauda at rx30.com> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Well I've installed the NRPE package and have the nrpe daemon running
> on my target system. Have configured the .cfg to allow connections
> from my workstation for testing. Have setup the nagios server side to
> execute the check_disk pluging on the target.
>
> When I enable the check all I get is 127 plugin may be missing. Can
> anyone provide the correct syntax for the server side and client side
> of this, or point me to some doc on it? I looked for faqs at the
> download sites but can't find any thing yet...

'127 plugin may be missing' typically means that the plugin you are
trying to execute isn't in the location that you've specified or doesn't
exist. In your case, it could be check_nrpe on your Nagios host or
check_disk on your remote host (you did remember to copy check_disk over
there, right?). Verify that check_nrpe is in the same location as the
other plugins on your monitoring machine and it's path is specified the
same way in your commands config file. You'll also need to verify that
the path specified to check_disk on your remote host is correct in
nrpe.cfg on the remote host. As far as an example of checking a disk on
a remote host using NRPE, here's one --

On your Nagios host:

# Service definition
define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name
of service template to use

        host_name                       <your remote hostname>
        service_description             DISK_HOME
        retry_check_interval            3
        contact_groups                  nateng-oncall-servers
        check_command                   check_nrpe!check_disk_home
        }

# 'check_nrpe' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_nrpe
        command_line    $USER1$/check_nrpe $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG1$ -to
30
        }

And on the remote host in nrpe.cfg:

command[check_disk_home]=/path/to/check_disk 80 95 /home

HTH,

Marc