Ping and FPing don't work?

Anders Holm anders.holm at criticalpath.net
Mon Sep 29 17:31:36 CEST 2003

R.F.

is the nagios user able to read the *directory* where fping resides?
I.e. what is the permissions on the directory and the binary itself?

An ls -ltr would be great to have for those two.

More than likel;y this is a problem with permissions for this user to
read. Sorry, haven't followed the thread, so I may be asking the same
questions that might have been asked already... ;)

//Anders//

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 15:48, R. F. wrote:
> Thanks Karl, I know now a little more about the problem. So maybe
> someone else can help me out now, I want to get either Ping or Fping to
> work because right now neither do:
>
> > When you get the ping syntax as output from check_ping, that means
> that
> > for wahtever reason, the invocation of /bin/ping failed badly.
>
> You are right! I just ran check_ping and check_fping with sudo -u nagios
> as user nagios and it gave me exactly the same replies (plus: Error:
> Could not interpret output from ping command).
>
> > My next guess is that your OS has been hardened and does not allow
> > unpriveleged users to run the ping command.
>
> I'm running RedHat 8 so I don't think so.
>
> > check_fping may have a similar problem, if it is not installed setuid
> > root, you must take on root priveleges to run it. (I am inferring here
> > that you are in a priveleged group, or that whe you ran these
> > successfully, you did so as root.)
>
> Nagios runs as user Nagios. I also chowned /usr/local/sbin/fping to
> 'nagios' but no luck. How do I install it setuid root? I just want to be
> able to use either ping or fping.
>
> Thanks.

Anders Holm - Critical Path Technical Support

Contact Details: http://support.criticalpath.net/contact.jsp
New Issues:      technical.support at criticalpath.net
Ongoing Issues:  messaging.support at criticalpath.net
Support Site:    http://support.criticalpath.net/