Ping and FPing don't work?

R. F. visigoth at home.nl
Mon Sep 29 16:48:55 CEST 2003

Thanks Karl, I know now a little more about the problem. So maybe
someone else can help me out now, I want to get either Ping or Fping to
work because right now neither do:

> When you get the ping syntax as output from check_ping, that means
that
> for wahtever reason, the invocation of /bin/ping failed badly.

You are right! I just ran check_ping and check_fping with sudo -u nagios
as user nagios and it gave me exactly the same replies (plus: Error:
Could not interpret output from ping command).

> My next guess is that your OS has been hardened and does not allow
> unpriveleged users to run the ping command.

I'm running RedHat 8 so I don't think so.

> check_fping may have a similar problem, if it is not installed setuid
> root, you must take on root priveleges to run it. (I am inferring here
> that you are in a priveleged group, or that whe you ran these
> successfully, you did so as root.)

Nagios runs as user Nagios. I also chowned /usr/local/sbin/fping to
'nagios' but no luck. How do I install it setuid root? I just want to be
able to use either ping or fping.

Thanks.