Ping and FPing don't work?

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Mon Sep 29 06:51:16 CEST 2003

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 18:30, R. F. wrote:
> I just can't get the Ping and Fping plugins to work and keep getting a
> host down msg. Fping's status stays 'Warning' (yellow) and says: FPING
> WARNING - 69.31.73.146
> Ping's status is 'Unknown' (orange) and says: /bin/ping -n -U -c 5
> 69.31.73.146.

<snip>

> It works ok and I get a result if I manually run these commands like:
> ./check_ping -H 69.31.73.146 -w 300.0,80% -c 500.0,100% -p 5
> or ./check_fping -H 69.31.73.146 -w 300.0,80% -c 500.0,100% -n 3
>
> Why doesn't it work in Nagios? Please help me, thanks.

When you get the ping syntax as output from check_ping, that means that
for wahtever reason, the invocation of /bin/ping failed badly.

Since you can run it by hand, it is likely not the path. My next guess
is that your OS has been hardened and does not allow unpriveleged users
to run the ping command (Mandrake has a secure mode that will do this,
bastille can make this change if you run redhat, I'm sure there are
others). Of course, since you did not mention what OS you use, I can
only speculate.

check_fping may have a similar problem, if it is not installed setuid
root, you must take on root priveleges to run it. (I am inferring here
that you are in a priveleged group, or that whe you ran these
successfully, you did so as root.)

--
Karl