Ping and FPing don't work?

R. F. visigoth at home.nl
Sun Sep 28 00:30:24 CEST 2003

I just can't get the Ping and Fping plugins to work and keep getting a
host down msg. Fping's status stays 'Warning' (yellow) and says: FPING
WARNING - 69.31.73.146
Ping's status is 'Unknown' (orange) and says: /bin/ping -n -U -c 5
69.31.73.146.

I just can't figure out why. This is what I have in services.cfg:

-----
define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name
of service template to use

        host_name                       sv09
        service_description             PING
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  server-admins
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            c,r
        check_command                   check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
        }

# Service definition
define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name
of service template to use

        host_name                       sv09
        service_description             FPING
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  server-admins
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            c,r
        check_command                   check_fping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
        }
-----

And in checkcommands.cfg:

-----
# 'check_ping' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_ping
        command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w $ARG1$ -c
$ARG2$ -p 5
        }

# 'check_fping' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_fping
        command_line    $USER1$/check_fping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w $ARG1$
-c $ARG2$ -n 3
        }
-----

It works ok and I get a result if I manually run these commands like:
./check_ping -H 69.31.73.146 -w 300.0,80% -c 500.0,100% -p 5
or ./check_fping -H 69.31.73.146 -w 300.0,80% -c 500.0,100% -n 3

Why doesn't it work in Nagios? Please help me, thanks.