Plugin output question

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Fri Sep 26 05:20:47 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 16:59, Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I have just signed up for nagios maiiling lists, and I am not sure if
> this question belongs here or somewhere else.
> I am setting up nagios on our site, to monitor few hundreds UNIX boxes.
> I have created a plugin to monitor disk usage, different from the
> default in the way that it monitors all the localy mounted file systems.
> As output I have included something like this:
> 4.8G)<br></font>

Try the check_disk on CVS HEAD -- it does what you want, but a tighter
output format. (Except thet you have to look for asterick to see whihc
partition is the problem (because html exceeds the line lentgh limit)

> where it would change the service state if any of the FSs went beyond
> the limit and highlight the line with the particular mount point in red.
> Since some of our Sun servers have quite a few mount points, I ran into
> the plugin output limit. I have changed the value of
> MAX_PLUGINOUTPUT_LENGTH to 1024, recompiled and everything seems working
> nicely. I have following questions:
>
> 1. Is this change of limit going to bite me in the arse at some other
> place in the program?

> 2. Would it be a good idea to make mandatory --verbose switch for
> plugins to provide more or less information depending on the context
> (i.e. provide a one-liner in Service Status Details screen and a long
> description in Service State Information screen).

The plugins strive to keep below 384 unless the --verbose switch is
given - it's a reasonable practive and had precedent.

--
Karl