Plugin output question

Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy jeld at bnl.gov
Thu Sep 25 22:59:37 CEST 2003

Hello all.

I have just signed up for nagios maiiling lists, and I am not sure if
this question belongs here or somewhere else.
I am setting up nagios on our site, to monitor few hundreds UNIX boxes.
I have created a plugin to monitor disk usage, different from the
default in the way that it monitors all the localy mounted file systems.
As output I have included something like this:
4.8G)<br></font>
where it would change the service state if any of the FSs went beyond
the limit and highlight the line with the particular mount point in red.
Since some of our Sun servers have quite a few mount points, I ran into
the plugin output limit. I have changed the value of
MAX_PLUGINOUTPUT_LENGTH to 1024, recompiled and everything seems working
nicely. I have following questions:

1. Is this change of limit going to bite me in the arse at some other
place in the program?
2. Would it be a good idea to make mandatory --verbose switch for
plugins to provide more or less information depending on the context
(i.e. provide a one-liner in Service Status Details screen and a long
description in Service State Information screen).