check_ping from 2 interfaces

Marco Ciullini marco.ciullini at datamar.it
Tue Sep 16 12:22:49 CEST 2003

Hi all,

I am running nagios 1.1 on a RH7.3
All is workin fine, but due to a "restriction" of one of my ISP, I'am
having a problem that I am going to explain:

I have 2 ISP connected to my nagios box (through a firewall).
One is for inbound traffic, 1 for outbound.
To manage routing more easily, I created a virtual network device
eth0:1. By default, all outgoing traffic use eth0, and I set up nat on
firewall to connect the second IP (eth0:1) for incoming traffic.
All was working fine: active checks originated from eth0 are routed to
one ISP, and passive checks results (nsca) are received via the second ISP.
Problem: the first ISP has configured their router to limit the ICMP
traffic. So, after a couple of days working fine, nagios check alive
(and check_ping) does not work properly (timeout).

Temp solution: turn off icmp traffic for 2 or 3 ours, and then turn it
on: ithe check_ping works again.

the command ping has the option -I, so that you can specify what
interface to originate packets. Is there something similar in
check_ping? Other solutions? Thanks a lot.

--
Marco Ciullini

Datamar s.r.l.
Via Corsica 9/4 E
16128 Genova
tel +39 0105705806
fax +39 0105451440
http://www.datamar.it
mailto:marco.ciullini at datamar.it

Please avoid sending me Word, Excel or PowerPoint attachments.