check_http : able to check authentication?

David Gitman David at feedroom.com
Tue Sep 9 15:51:04 CEST 2003

RTFM, http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/plugins.html

Try running a check_http -help. The -a option should do the trick.

./check_http --help
check_http (nagios-plugins 1.3.1) 1.24.2.4
The nagios plugins come with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. You may redistribute
copies of the plugins under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.
Copyright (c) 1999-2001 Ethan Galstad/Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop at users.sourceforge.net>

This plugin tests the HTTP service on the specified host. It can test
normal (http) and secure (https) servers, follow redirects, search for
strings and regular expressions, check connection times, and report on
certificate expiration times.

Usage:
 check_http (-H <vhost> | -I <IP-address>) [-u <uri>] [-p <port>]
            [-a auth] [-f <ok | warn | critcal | follow>] [-e <expect>]
            [-s string] [-l] [-r <regex> | -R <case-insensitive regex>]
            [-P string]
 check_http (-h | --help) for detailed help
 check_http (-V | --version) for version information
NOTE: One or both of -H and -I must be specified

 -H, --hostname=ADDRESS
    Host name argument for servers using host headers (virtual host)
 -I, --IP-address=ADDRESS
   IP address or name (use numeric address if possible to bypass DNS lookup).
 -e, --expect=STRING
   String to expect in first (status) line of server response (default: HTTP/1.)
   If specified skips all other status line logic (ex: 3xx, 4xx, 5xx processing)
 -s, --string=STRING
   String to expect in the content
 -u, --url=PATH
   URL to GET or POST (default: /)
 -p, --port=INTEGER
   Port number (default: 80)
 -P, --post=STRING
   URL encoded http POST data
 -w, --warning=INTEGER
   Response time to result in warning status (seconds)
 -c, --critical=INTEGER
   Response time to result in critical status (seconds)
 -t, --timeout=INTEGER
   Seconds before connection times out (default: 10)
--authorization=AUTH_PAIR
   Username:password on sites with basic authentication
 -L, --link=URL
   Wrap output in HTML link (obsoleted by urlize)
 -f, --onredirect=<ok|warning|critical|follow>
   How to handle redirected pages
 -S, --ssl
    Connect via SSL
 -C, --certificate=INTEGER
    Minimum number of days a certificate has to be valid.
    (when this option is used the url is not checked.)
 -l, --linespan
    Allow regex to span newlines (must precede -r or -R)
 -r, --regex, --ereg=STRING
    Search page for regex STRING
 -R, --eregi=STRING
    Search page for case-insensitive regex STRING
 -v, --verbose
    Show details for command-line debugging (do not use with nagios server)
 -h, --help
    Print detailed help screen
 -V, --version
    Print version information

This plugin can also check whether an SSL enabled web server is able to
serve content (optionally within a specified time) or whether the X509
certificate is still valid for the specified number of days.

CHECK CONTENT: check_http -w 5 -c 10 --ssl www.verisign.com

When the 'www.verisign.com' server returns its content within 5 seconds, a
STATE_OK will be returned. When the server returns its content but exceeds
the 5-second threshold, a STATE_WARNING will be returned. When an error occurs,
a STATE_CRITICAL will be returned.

CHECK CERTIFICATE: check_http www.verisign.com -C 14

When the certificate of 'www.verisign.com' is valid for more than 14 days, a
STATE_OK is returned. When the certificate is still valid, but for less than
14 days, a STATE_WARNING is returned. A STATE_CRITICAL will be returned when
the certificate is expired.

[-d]