Different paging for different levels

atonns at mail.ivillage.com atonns at mail.ivillage.com
Thu Oct 30 21:24:19 CET 2003

Whoops. Looks like my assessment was not 100% accurate.

When a service goes from WARNING to CRITICAL it _is_ a hard state change.
The problem is that I have notification_interval=0 - which means since it's
already sent single notification for a non-OK state (the WARNING) it will
not send another notification for ANY OTHER non-OK state (the CRITICAL).

What might be the "feature addition" that would make this work for me would
be some option to enable some additional logic so that even if the
notification_interval=0, Nagios should ignore the time interval and attempt
to send a immediate notification (assuming all the other checks like
downtime, flapping, etc. pass) whenever there's hard state change.

I'd like to work on adding this feature (I've spent a lot of time reading
the source at this point) but I don't want to add logic where it doesn't
belong. There's a lot of checks going on with
"check_service_notification_viability" in notifications.c, but there's
nothing about how to determine a hard state change. That's done in checks.c
as part of "reap_service_checks". The "semi-psuedo code" for my suggested
change to "check_service_notification_viability" would be:

/* dont notify contacts about this service problem again if the notification
interval is set to 0
 * unless forcing notification due to a hard state change */
if(svc->current_state!=STATE_OK && svc->no_more_notifications==TRUE){
        if(force_hard_state_change_notification == FALSE ||
(svc->current_state!=svc->last_state &&
svc->current_attempt>=svc->max_attempts)) {
#ifdef DEBUG4
                printf("\tWe shouldn't re-notify contacts about this service
problem!\n");
#endif
                return ERROR;
                }
#ifdef DEBUG4
        else {
                printf("\tNotifications about hard state changes were
forced!\n"0;
                }
#endif
        }

--
"Computer science is as much about computers as
        astronomy is about telescopes" -- Edsger Dijkstra
Anthony Tonns, UNIX Administrator - atonns at mail.ivillage.com

any issue.