Question on Theory and Object Definitions

Andy Stein andy at atcomputerconsulting.com
Sun Oct 12 18:23:29 CEST 2003

I can't say for sure, but I think the host dependency is more for having a
non-logical host dependency.

What I would suggest is to build your hosts and parents in a topology that
reflects how they are connected.  Then configure your notification options
to not notify you of unreachables.  That will keep you from being told
that host b is down when host a is the cause.

So look at your notification options and turn use c,w,r and not a u.

The only other scenario that I had to deal with is the service check that
you do.  I used a ping for routers and if the latency goes up and packet
loss goes up, then you could use a service dependency to disable
notifications if host-a's latency goes up so that you're not flodded with
all of the downline systems.

Hope this helps...
Andy