Question on Theory and Object Definitions

Jerry Norton jnorton at broadgap.com
Sat Oct 11 21:34:11 CEST 2003

Hey all, my question is in regards to configuration based on "standards"
or theory.

I am monitoring remote hosts with a simple host check ping command.  I
had a situation where my local internet connection went down and was
bombarded with notifications of hosts and services being down when it
was just the nagios monitoring machine not being able to get out to the
internet.

In looking at the docs and configuration files I found 2 (maybe more)
possible ways I could get around this from happening again.

1. I could set up a "Host Dependency" object with a host object of the
local internet gateway and have all the remote hosts depend on it.
Or...

2. I could just set the "parent" option in all the remote hosts (through
a template) to the local internet gateway.

I guess my question is what is the difference between "Host
Dependencies" and the "Parent" option in host objects and when is the
best time to use either?  Don't they serve the same function?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry Norton
broadGap Technologies
801.763.8056 - 802 East Bamberger Drive - American Fork - Utah - 84003