Nagios loosing head (plugin timeout or other strange behavior)

Al Tobey tobeya at tobert.org
Wed Nov 26 18:46:23 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 11:58, Francois JEANMOUGIN wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I use Nagios for quite some time now and I have a problem. Recently, we migrate Nagios across our network, and we increase the number of hosts and services monitored.
If you've recently put the same host on a different network, you might
want to check for packet drop rates or interface errors.  Sometimes the
simplest thing is the answer and a bad network cable could certainly
cause plugins to unexpectedly timeout.

> We have 18 hosts for a total of 42 services defined (most of theme shared between hosts). Now, I found that :
I'm monitoring 97 hosts and 443 services with Nagios 1.1.

> - some plugins are working well when launched by hand but are falling in timeout when launched by Nagios.
> - some hosts or services (freshly added to the config) appear and disappear from the web interface
>
> What are the nagios limitations ? How can I improve our nagios configuration ? Are there some enhancement/bugfix for theses problems.
You're nowhere near the upper limits of what Nagios can handle on a
modern computer.  What you're seeing probably has something to do with
misconfiguration.   I can't really help with that without looking at
your configuration.  You may want to read the documentation some more,
especially for the main "nagios.cfg" and modify some of the options in
there.  Many of them can have a large impact on the performance of your
setup.   If stuff is disappearing/reappearing in the web interface, it's
likely that the CGIs and Nagios daemon are seeing different versions of
the configuration.