Nagios loosing head (plugin timeout or other strange behavior)

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Wed Nov 26 18:25:01 CET 2003

[mailto:Francois.JEANMOUGIN at 123multimedia.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 10:59 AM
> To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: [Nagios-users] Nagios loosing head (plugin timeout or other
> strange behavior)
>
> Hi all,
>
> I use Nagios for quite some time now and I have a problem. Recently,
we
> migrate Nagios across our network, and we increase the number of hosts
and
> services monitored.
>
> We have 18 hosts for a total of 42 services defined (most of theme
shared
> between hosts). Now, I found that :
>
> - some plugins are working well when launched by hand but are falling
in
> timeout when launched by Nagios.
> - some hosts or services (freshly added to the config) appear and
> disappear from the web interface

It sounds like you have multiple copies of Nagios running on that box.
Symptom 1 is a likely result, symptom 2 is a definite result.

> What are the nagios limitations ? How can I improve our nagios
> configuration ? Are there some enhancement/bugfix for theses problems.

With 18 hosts and 42 services you really shouldn't be seeing any type of
performance impact at all. I have Nagios boxes monitoring hundreds of
services with no problems. These are the stats from just one of my data
collectors (PIII 800 with 512M ram, load average hangs out at a
comfortable 2-3) --

Time Frame Checks Completed
<= 1 minute: 224 (19.8%)
<= 5 minutes: 1118 (98.6%)
<= 15 minutes: 1134 (100.0%)
<= 1 hour: 1134 (100.0%)
Since program start:   1134 (100.0%)

Metric Min. Max. Average
Check Execution Time:   < 1 sec 36 sec 7.163 sec
Check Latency: < 1 sec 5 sec 0.557 sec
Percent State Change: 0.00% 6.12% 0.03%

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/tuning.html has some performance
tuning hints but the only ones of those I use are 1 (aggregate status
updates), 7 (optimize host checks) and 9 (-1 for command check
interval).

One other thing you might want to look at is to verify the speed and
duplex settings on your machine and the switch it's connected to to make
sure they're hard coded and match. This is something that a lot of
people forget and can have a dramatic impact.

--
Marc