parent outages - behaviour for children?

Tedman Eng teng at dataway.com
Tue Nov 11 05:27:54 CET 2003

Parent-child does more than just statusmap, which one user has claimed.
When a parent is down, it's children are "Unreachable" status.  If there are
2 parents, both must be down before children are "Unreacchable" status.

Marked downtime is supresses notifications only, and only for the host that
you mark.  If your host notification settings are "d,u,r", you'll still
recieve notifications for "Unavailable" children, even though the parent's
"Down" is supressed.

I find it's good enough to set host notifications to just "d, r", since
obviously everything below the "down" is unreachable, and I don't need
Nagios to tell me that.  In this case, marking just the parent works, and
you won't get notified about children.

news:20031110193516.98804.qmail at web60309.mail.yahoo.com...