Host (not really) DOWN alert for ....

Tedman Eng teng at dataway.com
Fri Nov 7 06:36:12 CET 2003

Hosts don't go into "soft" down states.  Only services do.  If your
host-check-alive command is a ping, set up a service-check using ping for
the host (you're probably already doing this). Then view the
trends/alerts/history/etc for the service, rather than the host.  The
service-check ping would have to fail before the host-check ping fails.  If
the service-ping fails only sometimes, but the host-ping seems to fail every
time the time its invoked, consider tuning the host-check-alive command by
increasing or decreasing the number of packets sent (look for the -c option
in the definition).

Also, just to be safe - stop nagios, look for and kill any rogue nagios
processes, then start.
Sometimes these 'phantom' processes can cause weirdness.

"Damian Gerow" <damian at sentex.net> wrote in message
news:20031106063407.GB78425 at sentex.net...
> Twice in the past couple of days, we've gotten an alert for a box that was
> 'down'.  Each time, I checked the availability of the machine, and it was
> most definitely up -- my SSH session hadn't disconnected, and the remote
> machine was fully responsive.
>
> Thinking something amiss, I checked the performance stats of nagios.
21.4%