Host (not really) DOWN alert for ....

Damian Gerow damian at sentex.net
Fri Nov 7 17:18:01 CET 2003

Thus spake Tedman Eng (teng at dataway.com) [07/11/03 00:41]:
> Hosts don't go into "soft" down states.  Only services do.  If your
> host-check-alive command is a ping, set up a service-check using ping for
> the host (you're probably already doing this). Then view the

Yep.  Is this even recommended to do?  I'm doing this on all hosts, because
I'd like to be able to view latency when needed.

> trends/alerts/history/etc for the service, rather than the host.  The
> service-check ping would have to fail before the host-check ping fails.  If
> the service-ping fails only sometimes, but the host-ping seems to fail every
> time the time its invoked, consider tuning the host-check-alive command by
> increasing or decreasing the number of packets sent (look for the -c option
> in the definition).

I'm looking at one of the alerts right now.  And it says:

    'Host DOWN alert for <customer>.sentex.ca!'

So would that not show up in the trends?

We monitor three 'services' on this host -- PING, SMTP, and SSH.  I just
went through and did an availability report, alert histogram, and alert
history check on all three services.  PING has never gone into a soft down
state, while SMTP and SSH have both failed the first of three checks, once
each.

The big thing is that nothing incriminating shows up in the alert history
for this host.

> Also, just to be safe - stop nagios, look for and kill any rogue nagios
> processes, then start.
> Sometimes these 'phantom' processes can cause weirdness.

I can give that a try, but I'd be pretty surprised if it was a phantom
process.  I'm seeing a fair number of soft alerts lately as well, so I'm
going to try to optimize the setup, and see if that helps at all.