Host (not really) DOWN alert for ....

Damian Gerow damian at sentex.net
Thu Nov 6 07:34:07 CET 2003

Twice in the past couple of days, we've gotten an alert for a box that was
'down'.  Each time, I checked the availability of the machine, and it was
most definitely up -- my SSH session hadn't disconnected, and the remote
machine was fully responsive.

Thinking something amiss, I checked the performance stats of nagios.  21.4%
of checks complete in under 1 minute, and 100% of 182 complete in under
five.  It takes no more than 10 seconds to complete a check, with <1s
'check latency'.  This might not be as good as it could be, I have yet to
fine-tune our setup.  But it doesn't seem horribly bad.

So I started looking at the history of this host, and lo and behold, it
apparently has never gone down in the past week.  Yet I have two sets of
e-mail alerts (down/up pairs), one from Nov 3, and the other from Nov 5.

Is there something I'm missing?  Or do small blips not make it into the
reporting?  I've checked trends, availability, and alert history.  None of
them record this host even going into a *soft* down state, let alone a hard
down state.

FWIW, we're using Nagios 1.1 on a RH9 Linux machine.  Nagios is compiled
from source, not installed via RPM.  We're using SQL to retain history.