Passive services stale problem

Mooney, Ryan ryan.mooney at pnl.gov
Fri May 30 00:22:28 CEST 2003

Hello,

I have a minor problem with setting up correct staleness checking for passive services.

The scenario is basically like this:
  Host goes down (ok)
    Data is not available from that host so the passive service check times out
                   (ok, passive service "is stale" script checks $HOSTSTATE$ and
                   if DOWN/UNKNOWN returns OK so it doesn't even show on the web
                   much less send an alert).
  Host comes up some (indeterminate) time later (ok)
    Before the passive service "injector" runs the service staleness checker
    times out and runs the staleness script; this triggers a "service is stale"
    alert even though its really not, it just hasn't had time to update yet.

What I really need is a way to see how long ago the host came back up so that
if its within the passive service check run interval I can just return either
ok or a warning, but I didn't see a macro that differentiated host vs service
last state change.

I'm running this with ~1000 hosts that are being rebooted a lot (and a bunch of
services) so I get a LOT more spurious alerts than you might initially imagine.

I suppose I could do something like set an event to happen on host state change
that logged it somewhere and have the "is stale" script check that, but I was
hoping for a simpler and more elegant solution.

If anyone has any ideas, let me know.