Problems getting Nagios to report hosts alive

Juan Puchalski juanc at gmx.at
Sun May 25 16:59:10 CEST 2003

Hi,

I'm an old netsaint user and just recently switched to Nagios. I converted all my config files by hand and have Nagios running smoothly and fine, except for one little thing.

Nagios reports all my hosts as down, and the PING service in status unknown for all my 27 hosts. I've seen the demo running at square-box.com and they have this as Status Information:

PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 2.20 ms

In my Status Information I have:

/bin/ping -n -c 5 192.168.0.1

What did I do wrong? Did I compile the check_ping plugin wrong? I run the check_ping command by hand, and I get a PING OK response on the command line, which leads me to believe the check_ping program is ok. Perhaps it's just the plugin version (1.3.0) being incompatible with Nagios (1.0) or vice-versa?

What do you think?

Juan Puchalski