Problems getting Nagios to report hosts alive

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Sun May 25 19:36:12 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 10:59, Juan Puchalski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm an old netsaint user and just recently switched to Nagios. I converted all my config files by hand and have Nagios running smoothly and fine, except for one little thing.
>
> Nagios reports all my hosts as down, and the PING service in status unknown for all my 27 hosts. I've seen the demo running at square-box.com and they have this as Status Information:
>
> PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 2.20 ms
>
> In my Status Information I have:
>
> /bin/ping -n -c 5 192.168.0.1
>
> What did I do wrong? Did I compile the check_ping plugin wrong? I run the check_ping command by hand, and I get a PING OK response on the command line, which leads me to believe the check_ping program is ok. Perhaps it's just the plugin version (1.3.0) being incompatible with Nagios (1.0) or vice-versa?
>
> What do you think?

I don't think there is any possibility of incompatibility.

Rather, I suspect that there is a typo in your config.

That output indicates that check_ping got some sort of error status
running ping. Usually a syntax error in the ping args. But could be the
result of a harden system placing controls on using ping/

What happens when nagios runs '/bin/ping -n -c 5 192.168.0.1'

--
Karl