Notications out of timeperiods]

Chris Wilson chris at netservers.co.uk
Fri May 9 12:11:58 CEST 2003

Hi Tero (and fellow Nagios users),

>  Im now of course talking about notification timeperiods. The situation
> where I would like to have this is when Im sending out notifications
> with sms-messages, I dont want to send them during the night time when
> people are sleeping, but if something went down during night I would
> like them to know it as first thing when its their time to wake up
> again.
>  Currently if something goes down, Nagios just skips the alert for that
> and will send recovery alert when its back up if that happens on
> timeperiod.

I was thinking last night about aggregating notifications, since NANS
appears to have vanished, and isn't quite what I want anyway. I was
thinking that a sensible way to handle them might be to send the first
notification immediately, but if another arrives within some timeperiod
then it will be delayed until the end of that timeperiod, when all
outstanding notifications could be sent together.

The simple way to do this would be for Nagios to remember events and
whether it has successfully sent a notification for them. It could also
check the notification plugin for failure and keep trying until it
succeeds. This would also help to solve your problem, since a notification
out of timeperiod could be delayed until it was in timeperiod, rather than
dropped completely.

The alternative solution I came up with requires fewer changes to Nagios,
and basically queues up events externally to Nagios (fed by a
notify_command), but this requires either writing a daemon or using Cron
to check the queue regularly; daemons are complex, and Cron jobs don't
notify fast enough, so neither of these is perfect in my mind.

What do others think? Should Nagios take responsibility for queueing
events, or should it happen externally?

Cheers, Chris.
--
 / __// / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson -- UNIX Firewall Lead Developer |