Rewriting nsclient? (was NSClient 1.0.8.0 Installation Problem)

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Thu May 8 16:39:42 CEST 2003

> Coding on Windows is a horrible task, coding a service is even worse, given
> that how can I make it as painless as possible?

I don't thinks Windoze is a horrible OS to code on, given you understand
Windoze. Also: You can create services with a small wrapper of virtually any
executable.

> Perl would be nice, however requiring NT admins to install Perl on their
> boxes is sometimes hard, some NT admins believe WSH is all they'll ever
> need and think Perl is something they buy at a jewelry store.

you can compile a perl script into an .exe file. although it's not an optimal
solution, it can be a solution for sysadmins that don't want perl on their
windoze boxes. I really don't think this'll be a big problem, as Nagios
itself must run on a unix host, there's always unix people around to talk to
the children (read: Windoze admins)

> C++ requires either Visual Studio or C++ builder. Hell will freeze over
> before I buy a product from MS.
>
> Buy C++ builder and start from scratch or Delphi and build on what was
> already done.

My point exactly. I don't want to buy any software to change the product!

> Building on what is already done was easier and Pascal isn't a hard
> language to work in, if find it easier than C and C++. Although this is the
> first time I've coded in Pascal in over a dozen years.
>
> For non-commercial use (and I believe writing GPL code is non-commercial),
> Delphi only costs a hundred bucks, a pretty decent deal to me.

Still:
Pascal is a dead language. It'll be harder and harder to find people to
maintain the source. This piece of software will probably be rewritten pretty
soon anyway, so why not now?

roy

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester