CGI authentication problems

bauchi lists at bauchi.de
Fri Mar 21 22:43:27 CET 2003

PS> When I log in, my username/password is accepted by Apache's process but
PS> Nagios says 'Logged in as ?' and thus I cannot do a whole heck of a lot.
PS> I've configured the system to use my username in the
PS> htpassword/contacts.cfg file. They match.
PS> This is Apache 1.3.27 and Nagios 1.0
PS> Does anyone have any suggestions?
PS> TIA

i've had the same probleme sometime ago

the problem was, that to access to the cgi-bin directory no
authentication was needed...

we have nagios installed at /usr/local/nagios/
the webroot is under share/ and the scripts are at sbin/ ..

you can protect the /usr/local/nagios/ directory by configuring
it something like this:

<Directory  "/usr/local/nagios" >
        AuthName "Nagios... please introduce yourself"
        AuthType Basic
        ... your favourite auth type (we use ldap)
        require valid-user
        ... other options to be configured
</Directory>

or you also protect the sbin/ directory itself, but then you might have to
login twice, once for the normal html frameset and the nav bar and a
second time for the scripts ...

btw.. a standart rftm/read_your_webserver_logfile problem ;-)

hope that helps ;)