Web-Based config

Brandon Gillespie gillespie at iomega.com
Thu Mar 20 21:53:35 CET 2003

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] wrote:
> Not sure whether Fredrik needs to get with Ethan on this one, at least not
> as far as a seamless, shrinkwrapped integration is concerned.
>
> Today you can download the core product.  And plugins.  And addons (NRPE,
> NSCA, others).  And image packs.
>
> I could be speaking out of turn here, but I suspect Fredrik intended NATO to
> be another addon.

IMHO, it should be a part of the application, not an add-on.  Being able
to easily configure is vital to any application.  I have pointed several
people to Nagios, and they like how it looks, they download it, etc.
But then they get to the point where they want to configure it, they see
the poor documentation (sorry, lots of docs != good docs) and are then
pointed at these copious .cfg files and they just say forget it, and
move onto other things.  If you dont want to get into deep hacking,
there are much easier tools to use for this purpose than to configure
Nagios.

I like to get into the guts of things, and I still think configuring
nagios is annoying because it is forcing me to spend a LOT of time
configuring something which could be so much easier to do with a proper
interface.  The fact that many people hack tools to make it easier
configuring Nagios is a big sign saying there is a problem.

Sure, nagios is not hard to configure if you have a few servers.  Do it
on a scale of 50~100+ and it is no longer trivial, it gets horribly
redundant and annoying, even using templates.

Modularity is good, but some things should remain core to the system.
If I never had to look at another nagios config file I'd be more than happy.

-Brandon