if it aint broke...*sigh*

Mike McClure mmcclure at pneservices.com
Fri Mar 14 03:17:07 CET 2003

Hi David,

You must have your username (the one you put in
/usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users) as a contact for the hostgroups you want to be
able to work with.

Alternatively, you can put your usernames into the "authorized_for" variables in the
CGI configuration file.

There's a lot more details here: http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/cgiauth.html

If you're still having problems, feel free to email me directly.  I like to help
anyone using OpenBSD.  :)

- Mike

> Greetings List,
>
> Please could someone put me out of my misery.
>
> I was running the beta version of Nagios 1.0b3 (I think) and decided to upgrade to
> the latest version 1.0
> now when i try to access the CGI's i get the error message
>
> ***It appears as though you do not have permission to view information for any of
> the services you requested...***
>
> So, i have an authentication/config issue somewhere. It seems my username and
> password are being accepted when i log on to the web server as it brings up the html
> etc, it's just when i try to access the CGI's I've set up nagios a couple of times
> and have never seen this error message before, it must be something to do with the
> old config.
>
> Here is what i have done so far, and what i have done to try and solve the problem.
>
> Operating System OpenBSD 3.0
> Webserver Apache/1.3.27
>
> deleted old nagios source files
> deleted /usr/local/nagios/*
>
> Unzip, configure, make make install new version all worked fine with no errors
> my compile options for nagios - ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/nagios
> --with-cgiurl=/nagios/cgi-bin --with-htmurl=/nagios --with-nagios-user=nagios
> --with-nagios-grp=nagios
>
> unzip configure etc of plugins all worked fine with no errors
> my compile options for the plugins -  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/nagios
> --with-nagios-user=nagios --with-nagios-group=nagios --with-cgiurl=/nagios/cgi-bin
>

> Copied all the example cfg files into /usr/local/nagios/etc - here is a list
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 nagios  nagios  17184 Mar 13 16:19 cgi.cfg
> -rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios   4478 Mar 13 16:17 checkcommands.cfg
> -rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios   1589 Mar 13 21:34 contactgroups.cfg
> -rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios   1949 Mar 13 22:00 contacts.cfg
> -rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios   1665 Mar 13 22:07 dependencies.cfg
> -rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios   1996 Mar 13 22:04 escalations.cfg
> -rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios   1478 Mar 13 22:01 hostgroups.cfg
> -rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios   5509 Mar 13 21:57 hosts.cfg
> -rw-r--r--   1 nagios   nagios     40 Mar 13 22:44 htpasswd.users
> -rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios   4271 Mar 13 16:17 misccommands.cfg
> -rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios  21356 Mar 13 16:39 nagios.cfg
> -rw-rw----  1 nagios  nagios   3072 Mar 13 16:17 resource.cfg
> -rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios  11892 Mar 13 21:52 services.cfg
> -rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios   1592 Mar 13 16:17 timeperiods.cfg
>
> edited all the cfg files to get a working config, ran the preflight check and got it
> to a point of 0 errors or warnings.
> Reviewed httpd.conf and didn't need to change anything because all the necessary
> stuff was still in there from the previous version.
> created the files /usr/local/nagios/sbin/.htaccess and
> /usr/local/nagios/share/.htaccess and inserted the following
>
> AuthName "Nagios Access"
> AuthType Basic
> AuthUserFile /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users
> [...]

Mike McClure, CCIE # 5125, CISSP # 30232
PNE Services, Inc. -  http://www.pneservices.com
mmcclure at pneservices.com
mobile: 913-636-5590