if it aint broke...*sigh*

David Adams dadams at johncrowley.co.uk
Fri Mar 14 00:49:44 CET 2003

Greetings List,

Please could someone put me out of my misery.

I was running the beta version of Nagios 1.0b3 (I think) and decided to upgrade to the latest version 1.0
now when i try to access the CGI's i get the error message

***It appears as though you do not have permission to view information for any of the services you requested...***

So, i have an authentication/config issue somewhere. It seems my username and password are being accepted when i log on to the web server as it brings up the html etc, it's just when i try to access the CGI's I've set up nagios a couple of times and have never seen this error message before, it must be something to do with the old config.

Here is what i have done so far, and what i have done to try and solve the problem.

Operating System OpenBSD 3.0
Webserver Apache/1.3.27

deleted old nagios source files
deleted /usr/local/nagios/*

Unzip, configure, make make install new version all worked fine with no errors
my compile options for nagios - ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/nagios --with-cgiurl=/nagios/cgi-bin --with-htmurl=/nagios --with-nagios-user=nagios --with-nagios-grp=nagios

unzip configure etc of plugins all worked fine with no errors
my compile options for the plugins -  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/nagios --with-nagios-user=nagios --with-nagios-group=nagios --with-cgiurl=/nagios/cgi-bin

Copied all the example cfg files into /usr/local/nagios/etc - here is a list

-rw-r--r--  1 nagios  nagios  17184 Mar 13 16:19 cgi.cfg
-rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios   4478 Mar 13 16:17 checkcommands.cfg
-rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios   1589 Mar 13 21:34 contactgroups.cfg
-rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios   1949 Mar 13 22:00 contacts.cfg
-rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios   1665 Mar 13 22:07 dependencies.cfg
-rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios   1996 Mar 13 22:04 escalations.cfg
-rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios   1478 Mar 13 22:01 hostgroups.cfg
-rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios   5509 Mar 13 21:57 hosts.cfg
-rw-r--r--   1 nagios   nagios     40 Mar 13 22:44 htpasswd.users
-rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios   4271 Mar 13 16:17 misccommands.cfg
-rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios  21356 Mar 13 16:39 nagios.cfg
-rw-rw----  1 nagios  nagios   3072 Mar 13 16:17 resource.cfg
-rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios  11892 Mar 13 21:52 services.cfg
-rw-rw-r--  1 nagios  nagios   1592 Mar 13 16:17 timeperiods.cfg

edited all the cfg files to get a working config, ran the preflight check and got it to a point of 0 errors or warnings.
Reviewed httpd.conf and didn't need to change anything because all the necessary stuff was still in there from the previous version.
created the files /usr/local/nagios/sbin/.htaccess and /usr/local/nagios/share/.htaccess and inserted the following

AuthName "Nagios Access"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users
require valid-user
I then ran htpasswd -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users (my username)

i added my old username and a new one, both exhibit the same problem. I have changed ownership of /usr/local/nagios/* to nagios and nagios (username and group name are both nagios)

I have looked in the apache logs and cannot see anything to do with authentication errors, i have checked the nagios logs and there is nothing helpful there either.

use_authentication=1 is set in cgi.cfg

The plugins are working, i can see all the results in the log files, i just can't see the pretty pictures :-)

Thanks in advance for any ideas, it's probably something stupid but i've scratched around for hours now and can't find it.

regards

Dave Adams

David Adams
IT Manager
John Crowley Infrastructure Maintenance
Telephone: +44 020 8709 5609
Mobile Number +44 079 0539 4003
E-Mail Address: dadams at johncrowley.co.uk
Website: http://www.johncrowley.co.uk

Company registered in England, number 1301330

This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this message, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Messages sent to and from John Crowley (Maidstone) Ltd may be monitored.

Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Therefore, we do not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions that are present in this message, or any attachment, that have arisen as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy version. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of John Crowley (Maidstone) Ltd.