Fail error message - more interesting

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Tue Jun 24 13:27:41 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-23 at 15:02, Hegedus, Ervin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> here is a new, interesting problem.
>
> okay, the monitoring of that w2k host was resolved - that host is
> an other city, than where i work. that network connects to me
> trough VPN. i also monitoring the "other site" VPN router.
>
> Nagios send me an alert message, VPN router is unreacheable. the
> problem was in network, and that stayed up just a few minutes.
>
> but.
>
> after this alert, this w2k host - and only this host, other w2k
> hosts are goods in Nagios, in that network - is also in alert state.
> since 4 hours...
>

> i don't understand this.
> how can i debug this state? how can i run Nagios with higher log
> facility?
> has somebody some good think? :)

Sounds again like you need a working host check for the VPN perhaps? Is
the w2k host a child of the VPN?

Look at the service/host check logic carefully. If you have a service,
there must be a host check behind it. Conversely, (IIRC) if you have a
host check, it will always be in an assumed up state until a service
check goes down, triggering the host check.

Long and short of it is, each host needs both a host check and one or
more service checks, otherwise you will find you have hosts that do not
come back up even after the service check has been fixed.