newbie problem: service checks not executing

Peter Schobel drifter at zenfinity.com
Thu Jun 19 07:18:52 CEST 2003

I'm having a problem with nagios 1.1 on a debian system

I'm running nagios with postgresql and servce checks do not seem to be
executing at all - the scheduling queue is up to date - nagios says
that service checks are enabled and is scheduling the service checks
but no checks are happening

I had everything running a couple days ago and working perfectly but
something has happened or i have done something to cause this - at
first it was displaying the stale check data from when it stopped
working so i cleaned out the database table to see what would happen
and now all service statuses just show pending

checking the logfiles for apache, syslog and nagios as well as running
postgres in debug mode is not revealing any errors - basically
everything seems as though it is running fine

the hostatus table in the database shows host status: pending, last
update: current date/time and last_check and last_state_change both
read 1969-12-31 19:00:00 for all hosts

i've been fighting with this for a day and a half now and i know it
must be something simple

any help would be greatly appreciated

Peter Schobel

In a world without walls or fences
We will have no need for gates or windows

Peter Schobel
Network Administrator
Porchlight.ca
Unlimited Internet