newbie problem: service checks not executing

Rob Nelson rob at capband.net
Thu Jun 19 15:06:08 CEST 2003

Peter,

I just joined the list and saw your message on the archives, so excuse the
format of my reply. Your original email said:

========================

I'm having a problem with nagios 1.1 on a debian system

I'm running nagios with postgresql and servce checks do not seem to be
executing at all - the scheduling queue is up to date - nagios says
that service checks are enabled and is scheduling the service checks
but no checks are happening

i've been fighting with this for a day and a half now and i know it
must be something simple
========================

I've had similar problems with my install of Nagios. I've found the best
way to get Nagios to recheck all hosts is to stop the service, go into
$INSTALLPATH/nagios/var and delete all *.log files as well as status.sav,
and restart Nagios. This also helps with hosts where the service (say ping)
returns properly but the *host* definition fails all the time. It's not
scientifically proven to work, but my experience shows that it does at
least get the checks to *run*.

Another method is to edit services/hosts/whatever.cfg and restart Nagios.
If you don't change those files, Nagios tends not to recheck some hosts,
even if you left it off for a whole day. I'd love to know a better way to
get Nagios to completely recheck and dump log files for a specific host, if
you know how.

Rob Nelson
Network Administrator, Capitol Broadband
C: 919-369-1874
rob at capband.net