[1/2OT]Multi-tier client-server apps monitorin g w/Nagios integration?!?

Thu Jun 19 02:25:05 CEST 2003

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

With respect, I think the orginal question was to _analyse_ end-user
(total or measured) response times across a multi-tier application by
accounting for the processing time consumed by components in each tier
eg

Average Total_response time for transaction = 25 seconds

Avarage times in components

% in DB         13%
% in WAN        5%
% in LAN        0.05%
% in app server 45%
% in web server 5%

sort of analysis.

A much cruder accounting is given by Packeteer/Netscout type apps, that
break transaction times into server, network and total delays.

I think this is very difficult, and apart from the original posters
products, I have not seen any evidence that brand-name EMS can provide
it either.

The only way I can conceive of this being possible is with RMON2 probes
deployed in each tier and monitoring response times for the protocol
that is processed by that tier (eg web logic protocol, SQL*Net, HTTP,
etc etc). Obviously this is an expensive solution but can be integrated
into Nag with an SNMP poller type plugin (that interrogates each probe
and consolidates the results).

IBM come close with a rather clever approach that lets them capture web
client response times (render times, delay times) by editing the
published HTML on the fly to add some javascript to set timers in the
customer browser.

If anyone has ideas about how the individual delays can be captured,
please post them.

Getting the end user response times for multi-tier is tractable (with
synthetic transactions, provided the transactions are _not_ DB updates)
but this only gives the end user response time, not that of the
component tiers.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.