[1/2OT]Multi-tier client-server apps monitorin g w/Nagios integration?!?

stefmit stefmit at comcast.net
Thu Jun 19 13:27:18 CEST 2003

The statements below are correct. For further discussion, let's take a very
popular example: Oracle applications. This environment is made usually out of
(the simplest way) a web/forms based server, to which the clients connect,
with a database server "behind" it. At first appearance, it may look like
something easily achievebale (the measurements, that is): one would just have
to place a sniffer at each point of the multi-tier path, then consolidate the
info. BUT (at least as far as my experience goes) the client-web/forms
communication (which could be easily identified by simple methods such as the
socket pair (IP and TCP port)) is not that easily tracked in the backend,
simply because the web/forms <--> database communication takes place on
behalf of ALL clients connecting to the from end, with no easy way to
segregate.

How would I do it? The only way I could see this being feasible would be to
gain the knowledge (from Oracle) on what identifies a specific session
(attention: even a username is not good, as the web/forms <--> database may
use its own appmanager to talk on behalf of all front-end clients, thus no
segregation possible this way), INSIDE the  payload of a TCP packet, and have
the sniffer (perhaps a sort of rule written for Snort - or at least this is
what I was planning to do) filter for those specific entries, in order to
distinguish in all that traffic what belongs to whom.

Even if the above would be feasible (and - let's say - perhaps even without
Oracle's support, as someone may trace long enough such traffic as to
identify common patterns, and thus extract the identification for
sessions?!?), the challenge still remains to consolidate this info with the
one coming from the client <--> web/forms server trace. And this is what I
was asking to begin with: who - among our peers on this list - has been able
to achieve this using Nagios (and - perhaps - some plugins)?

There was one response earlier this week from someone who stated having done
just that. Would this person be kind enough to share (if not specific
plugins, if they would be considered "unsharable" with our community), at
least the fundamental concepts having allowed them to achieve what I
described above?

Thx,
Stef