[1/2OT]Multi-tier client-server apps monitorin g w/Nagios integration?!?

Williams, P. Lane Lane.Williams at jhuapl.edu
Wed Jun 18 14:39:27 CEST 2003

We have just that type of environment.  Apache Web Server -> Oracle
Applications Server -> Oracle Database -> Data Warehouse -> Unix System
Procs.  All of which have to be working in order to provide one Application.
Since our applications are developed in-house, no commercial package could
verify all of the processes as a whole.  With Nagios we developed a few web
based Oracle procedures to test application availability via a Nagios (Perl)
plugin accessing an Apache Web Server.  With a little effort you could also
use the check_cluster plugin to group common processes to specific
application checks.  One of the many nice things about open-source, "it is
always possible".  Plus you'll save 10's - 100's of thousands of dollars a
year.

Lane