[1/2OT]Multi-tier client-server apps monitoring w/Nagios integration?!?

Tue Jun 17 23:08:30 CEST 2003

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank yuo for your letter and say,

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 01:25:38PM -0500, stefmit wrote:

> As I mentioned in another email of mine (but never followed up with details,
> as nobody expressed any interest) I was tasked to evaluate different
> products, for different layers of network monitoring, and - in regards to
> something coming close to what I am asking here (application layer) - I have
> found:
> - http://www.netiq.com
> - http://www.netqos.com
> - http://www.compuware.com
> - http://www.opnet.com (quite impressive!)
> - http://www.somix.org (WebNM as a consolidator solution, which I believe
> could be really challenged by Nagios! - worth a look) - this one is where I
> see Nagios being even stronger, if it could consolidate the likes of one of
> the other tools above. If you want to take a look at it, choose WebNM from
> the product options, username:demo, password:greatfun.

the Usenet tradition is _rarely_ to encourage, only to discourage.

Please post what you have found about the products you evaluated.

One of the question my employers RFQ on EMS asked was 'describe what
means the product has for measuring end to end response times'.

The responses were suprisingly poor in that

1 Most proposed synthetic transactions - completely unsuitable for
updates or write once

2 only one even mentioned the use of (the EMS purchasing organisations
own) RMON2 probes and _none_ mentioned other comparable equipment such
as the Packeteer

3 only one mentioned other means of doing so (server side APM
instrumented applications) in the general case.

It seems to me that you are looking at best of breed solutions for what
you are prposing, but I think analysing the delays in multi-tier (so
long in web, much longer in the DB, really long in the app server ..)
sounds hard.

> TIA,
> Stef

Yours sincerely.