Monitor Checkpoint VPN links

Bryan Irvine bryan.irvine at kingcountyjournal.com
Wed Jul 9 22:18:17 CEST 2003

You want to make sure that one office can see the other office without
necessarly going through the central point where your nagios server is?

Wouldn't it make sense that if you could ping them they could ping each
other? unless of course a route went down.

You could burn up an ip at each location and make static routes to each.

so if your network looks like this

               [office 2]    [office 3]
                   \         /        \
                  [your office]      [office 4]
                    /
                [office 5]

you could just make a static route on your nagios server that points to
an ip at office 2 then have the nagios server ip on the system at office
routed staticly to an ip at office3 which is routed to office 4 which is
routed to office 5 and routed back to your office.

This would be tricky, _if_ it even worked, but basically you could then
send a ping to an office 2 machine and it would come back through office
5.  So if you got the response all your links are working.

I've seen similar things happen on broken networks, but I've never tried
something like this on purpose.

--Bryan