Yahoo Messenger Notification Configuration

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Wed Jan 29 17:51:03 CET 2003

On Yahoo Messenger:

A few months back, someone on the list indicated that they'd set up Jabber
to gateway to Yahoo Messenger.  I don't recall details, unfortunately.
Having said that, anyone wanting to do this would need some sort of
character-based YM client, one that can either have a string passed to it,
or one which could be wrapped in an Expect script.  Should be able to find a
list of YM clients over on sourceforge.net.

Having said that, I don't know what the value-add of having this feature
would be.  A reasonable alternative would be to have notifications sent to
your Yahoo e-mail account, and let YM give you the "you have new mail"
popup.

On security:

This is really no less secure than sending e-mail notifications over the
Internet.  If the cornerstone of your system/network security is "security
through obscurity", then you are probably already at significant risk.  If
your firewall is compromised, then all bets are off.  What value is a
hostname/IP address to an attacker, if they can't get past your first layer
of defence?

Do what you feel you need to do.  I'm just suggesting that security efforts
are more likely to be beneficial if focused on things like policy and
perimeter.  (FWIW, Jabber supports crypto, I believe.)  Yes, it would
probably be a Bad Thing to have notifications include things like, "The
trusted host is fizzgig.example.com, IP 10.2.3.4, root password is xyzygy5,
dialup access via 555-1234".

Just my $0.02.

jc