Send Notifications via SNMP

Wed Jan 29 09:54:00 CET 2003

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 09:11:34AM +0100, Andreas Winter wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> is there anyone who has an idea how i can send notifications via
> snmp-traps. The idea is to monitor hosts and services with nagios and
> notify a third-party product with snmp-traps in case of state chances.

that I have an idea but nothing much more.

The Nag/Netsaint notify commands can be replaced by snmptrap (from the
net-snmp distribution) to do this.

Howver, it seems to me that you have a significant amount of integration
to map check outputs/return codes, in the general case, to SNMP OIDs.

If all you want to do is send one OID when a service fails and another
when it recovers, then this isn't too bad, but surely you want to
transmit the same amount of info as in a notifaction eg at least

. hostname

. service name

. plugin output

Perhaps (and I don't know too much about this) if you have your own
private OID tree then this is feasable.

> Thanks in advance
> Andi Winter

HTH,