Checking log files ...

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Tue Jan 21 17:39:14 CET 2003

I'm using check_log2, but I also created a check_log3 based on it.  The
latter is a CRITICAL version of the former.  (I know, this is a kludge, it
should really be rewritten to accept either a -w and/or a -c switch.)  To
wit:

$ diff check_log2 check_log3
146c146
<         exit $ERRORS{'WARNING'};
---
>         exit $ERRORS{'CRITICAL'};

Here are a couple sample snippets from my nrpe.cfg:

command[linux_log_warn]=/home/nagios/libexec/check_log2 -l /var/log/messages
\
     -s /home/nagios/.messages_warn.seek -p "WARN|Warn|warn|httpd.conf"
command[linux_log_err]=/home/nagios/libexec/check_log3 -l /var/log/messages
\
     -s /home/nagios/.messages_err.seek \
     -p "ERR|Err|err|PANIC|Panic|panic|File system full" \
     -n " nrpe| sshd|httpd.conf"

[Pardon the linewrap.]

The reason I created a CRITICAL based on the WARNING version should be
self-evident.  Page me and e-mail me if it's critical, just e-mail me if
it's a warning.

HTH.

jc