check_traffic plugin - another notice

Stanis³aw Szczygie³ stanley at szczygiel.net
Tue Jan 14 23:02:05 CET 2003

Heloo Adrian,

I have installed your plugin today for check - and it works very well.
Especially nice is to use this make-config script - generating services for
multi ports routers is not very funny. I have no time to check graphics -
but it is less important to me. Check_traffic for only one router with 9
ports made load of procesoor about 95-98% all the time...

The main problem for me is the way how your scripts work. All this snmpget,
snmpwalk commands are very hard for processor state. So generally checking
all interestig things by snmp is hard for my computer (its only some p-II).
Few days ago I found very interesting program for nagios (also thanks to
some mail from nagios forum) - it is snmppd - snmp proxy daemon
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/snmppd)

Calling snpm questions is made by check_snmpp command (the same like
check_snmp, but by snmppd daemon).

Thanks to this daemon i low down average load of processor more then 15
times! (average load of  processor made by more then 15 snmp asks result in
load about 5-7 %  - from earlier 80-90% !!!)

Because all snmp answers made by snmpget/walk are the same possible to
posses by check_snmp command - so this is my proposition (question?): is it
possible to rewrite check_traffic to use existing command check_snmp (or
especially check_snmpp)?

It could effect in low down the processor load, what can be (just like in my
situation) very important in greater number of tested devices... I would be
very gratefull if you find some time to look on the daemon described above,
and maybe you find some possibility to use this solution in your project...

If you would like to talk about this - send to my priv mail. I'm afraid my
english(please apologize me!) is not perfect. Personaly im sure, that
joining this two projects can be very interesting...

But apart everything - check_traffic and this install script it is really
good job!

Regards, Stanley