Same status

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Tue Jan 14 16:36:32 CET 2003

I've been pondering SNMP as an alternative to NRPE.  If I were to take this
approach, I presume I need the following:

- the SNMP software components need to be installed on the Nagios server as
well as for any client I wish to monitor (should be obvious, but I didn't
want to skip over this ;)
- proper config of SNMP so that it's functioning client/server
- the check_snmp plugin should be built properly
- I'm guessing I need a MIB for whatever aspect I'm trying to monitor...?
E.g., o/s, hardware, specific application
- the biggest gap is w.r.t. what a service definition would look like; if
you could post a couple examples (eg, memory, disk) that would be most
excellent, sir :)

For further reference, it would be great if you could take me through the
creation of a single definition, from the "gee, I'd like to monitor service
XYZ on host xyzygy" to looking up the MIB details (or snmpwalk or whatever's
required), that'd be great!

TIA,

jc