Same status

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Tue Jan 14 03:37:19 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 09:02, Chris Stankaitis wrote:
> This is an active vs. passive check thing... An Active check is one that
> is started on the nagios server.... some of these can handle remote
> hosts, ping, ssh, smtp, pop, http, time etc... those you can run from
> nagios and everything will be happy for all your different hosts.
>
> Things like current user, load, disk space,  processes, can't be run
> from the nagios server with regards to collecting this information from
> remote hosts by default.  to do this you need to set up passive checks,
> and somehow get the information from the client to the host (nagios
> server) this can be acomplished by mutiple ways...
>
> 1) NRPE - open connection runs on each clent, nagios connects to the
> port and gets the info you want
> 2) NSCA - open connection runs on NAGIOS server and clients send
> information to the nagios server encrypted
> 3) check_by_ssh using the SSH's ability to execute commands to run
> commands on the client and pulls back results

If you are in an isolated LAN (i.e., you have a failrly decent firewall
and you put ACLs on your servers) there is also check_snmp. It's my
personal favorite becuase it has great funtionality, near zero setup in
my RH73 servers, and very low overhead.

Justin's options are fine too - just missed one (I'm sure there are more
too).

--
Karl