Same status

Chris Stankaitis chris.stankaitis at datawire.net
Mon Jan 13 15:02:21 CET 2003

This is an active vs. passive check thing... An Active check is one that
is started on the nagios server.... some of these can handle remote
hosts, ping, ssh, smtp, pop, http, time etc... those you can run from
nagios and everything will be happy for all your different hosts.

Things like current user, load, disk space,  processes, can't be run
from the nagios server with regards to collecting this information from
remote hosts by default.  to do this you need to set up passive checks,
and somehow get the information from the client to the host (nagios
server) this can be acomplished by mutiple ways...

1) NRPE - open connection runs on each clent, nagios connects to the
port and gets the info you want
2) NSCA - open connection runs on NAGIOS server and clients send
information to the nagios server encrypted
3) check_by_ssh using the SSH's ability to execute commands to run
commands on the client and pulls back results

*** Personal View Disclaimer***

After setting this all up I personally thing option 2 the NSCA is the
superior option though it's a little tricky to get everything working,
Check_by_ssh is good and easy if your not monitoring a lot of hosts and
a lot of servers, if your running a lot checks on a lot of hosts you'll
get your syslog spammed by nagios checks unless you turn down the
logging which is NOT a good idea, NRPE is a good choice and from what I
see on the list the most popular but I don't want to have any
un-necessary ports open on my clients so I decided against this.. NRPE
is a pull in that each client has to have a daemon up and nagios
connects to that and gets the info.

NSCA is pushed from the clients and uses the mcrypt libs to provide a
bunch of encryption choice including blowfish and 2fish... it requires
only a daemon on the nagios server.   for my needs this was the best
choice..

--
Chris Stankaitis
Systems Administrator