nagios.cmd ... "Sorry, you are not authorized ..." -- Argh!

Olivier F. Beauchemin (Budget-Tech IT Consulting) ofb at budget-tech.com
Fri Jan 10 19:11:50 CET 2003

Ok, auth on the share directory is optional. I don't use it. The sbin dir is
all that I've protected. See an earlier, yet recent post that shows my
.htaccess and htpasswd.users config.

Here's where I have a problem..

1. I log in, and can everything just fine. Nagios works great! Really, it
does.
2. Then I want to do something like, disable notification, schedule downtime
or somesuch.

Here, I am logged in as olivier (this user has the same privs as
nagiosadmin):
http://mrtg/nagios/cgi-bin/cmd.cgi?cmd_typ=6&host=foo%2Ebar%2Enet&service=FT

On this page, there is a commit button that posts to cmd.cgi, as soon as I
click commit I get this:
http://mrtg/nagios/cgi-bin/cmd.cgi

"Sorry, but you are not authorized to commit the specified command."
"Read the section of the documentation that deals with authentication and
authorization in the CGIs for more information."

I get the same thing for these other types of things (when I say I'm fine,
it means I am recognized as user olivier or user nagiosadmin ... whatever I
chose to login as):

    I'm fine here, but when I add in the comment and click commit... "Sorry,
you are not ..."
    http://mrtg/nagios/cgi-bin/cmd.cgi?cmd_typ=1

    I'm fine here, scheduling downtime... but when I click commit... "Sorry,
you are not ..."
    http://mrtg/nagios/cgi-bin/cmd.cgi?cmd_typ=55

    I'm fine here, trying to restart the nagios process... and then, you
guessed it.
    http://mrtg/nagios/cgi-bin/cmd.cgi?cmd_typ=13

... I am sure there are tons of these.