host-check on multi interface server

Rasmus Plewe rplewe at hpce.nec.com
Mon Feb 24 13:37:27 CET 2003

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 11:55:55AM +0100, Markus Schencker wrote:

> I have to monitor some multi interface servers.
>
> In the documentation I can only find hosts with one IP address
> specified. As I understand this IP address is used if any service
> check of this host fails to decide whether the host is up or down
> but I want to consider all interfaces not only one.
>
> Here are two solutions I can think of
>
> * Write my own check-host test that considers all interfaces (eg using fping)

That would mean one self-written check-host-alive for every server, if
I understood the situation correctly.

> * Specify one IP address for host check, specify service checks for all
> interfaces and create service dependencies for the other service checks

What service checks are you thinking about?

> Which one is to prefer or is there another preferable solution

I defined the interfaces as hosts (with a check_ping as service) and
defined the server as parent. I believe this solution is fairly
common.

I consider that, one time in the future, do only one service check on
the server with some check_all_your_interfaces service. I believe that
is probably the best solution.

Rasmus