host-check on multi interface server

Markus Schencker markus.schencker at schencker.de
Mon Feb 24 18:42:11 CET 2003

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 15:37:55AM +0100, Rasmus Plewe wrote:

>> * Specify one IP address for host check, specify service checks for all
>> interfaces and create service dependencies for the other service checks
>
> What service checks are you thinking about?

Example: server1 with the following interfaces:
172.19.0.1, 172.20.0.1, 172.21.0.1

define host server1 with IP address 172.19.0.1

define service ping1 on host server1 with IP address 172.19.0.1
define service ping2 on host server1 with IP address 172.20.0.1
define service ping3 on host server1 with IP address 172.21.0.1

define service disk1 on host server1 depends on ping1,ping2,ping3

If one of the ping tests fails the depending tests won't be executed.

>> Which one is to prefer or is there another preferable solution
>
> I defined the interfaces as hosts (with a check_ping as service) and
> defined the server as parent. I believe this solution is fairly
> common.

What is the advantage of your method? You define a logical grouping of the
interfaces. Which interface do you define as the parent server? Where do you
put your services (to the parent server host or to the interfaces)? What is
the result if one of the "interface" hosts will fail?

Markus