Distributed checking (part 2)

Jasmine jasmine.chua at securecirt.com
Fri Feb 7 17:07:10 CET 2003

Hi there thanks for replying
Erm I think I have not presented my problem properly and you have
misinterpreted it. The problem that I am facing is that my distributed
monitoring server is not supposed to check its own web services like SSH. I
have configured it to return critical status "ERROR: checked actively by
distributed server!" if it does. I want my central monitoring server to check
these services actively. However, after I configured the service as passive
on the distributed server, it still seems to check actively which I cant see
why. Below is a snippet of my service definition.

On the Central monitoring server
 define service{

        host_name                      		distributed monitoring server A
        service_description             	SSH
        check_command                   	check_ssh
        active_checks_enabled           	1
        passive_checks_enabled          	0
        parallelize_check               	1
        obsess_over_service             	0
        check_freshness                 	0
        max_check_attempts              	3
        normal_check_interval           	3
        retry_check_interval            	2
        check_period                    		24x7
        notification_interval           		0
        notification_period             		24x7
        notification_options            		u,c,r
	contact_groups				admin
}

On the Distributed monitoring server
define service{
              host_name               		distributed monitoring server A
        service_description    	 		SSH
        check_command           		check_error_active
	active_checks_enabled           	0
        passive_checks_enabled          	0
        parallelize_check               	0
        obsess_over_service             	0
        check_freshness                 	0
        max_check_attempts              	3
        normal_check_interval           	1
        retry_check_interval            	1
        check_period                    		none
        notification_interval           		10
        notification_period             		24x7
        notification_options            		n
        contact_groups                 		admin
}

Jasmine

On Thursday 06 February 2003 07:01, Atul Gosain wrote:
> Hi
>
> The problem is simple.
> U have check_freshness variable set to 1. The effect of this is that
> whenever the passive service results does not reach nagios for some time
> (freshness_threshold ), it considers the result as stale and starts
> checking actively for that service. If u want that active checks are not
> executed when passive results are stale, then disable check_freshness
> variable.
> Just tell me in case ur problem is solved.
>
> Thanks
> Atul
>
> Jasmine wrote:

- --