check_udp hangs

Van Zee, Timothy T-VANZEE at govst.edu
Thu Feb 6 15:00:57 CET 2003

Firewall?

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: David Goldsmith [mailto:dgoldsmith at sans.org]
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 2:52 PM
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagios-users] check_udp hangs

I've installed nagios-1.0 and nagios-plugins-1.3.0-beta2 on a RedHat 7.3
system.  Checks for various services running on TCP ports work.  UDP
service checks are failing.

If I manually run './check_tcp -H <some IP> -p <some port#>, I get a
near immediate response (assuming a service is listening)

If I manually run check_udp the same way, it just sits there.  It does
not give up after the default timeout of 10 seconds.

Running strace on the 2 binaries shows that check_udp appears to be
hanging prior to the call to "signal (SIGALRM,
socket_timeout_alarm_handler)" in the main routine.

Any ideas?

Dave Goldsmith